Artisans Insurance Ltd. utilizes a time-tested experience rated formula in calculating a member’s premium for each year. It is primarily based on a member’s individual loss history. The following is a brief outline:
To develop a member premium, each member’s previous five-year loss history is collected and the data is then trended and developed by Artisans Insurance Ltd.'s actuarial service provider. They then produce what they believe a member’s predictable losses will be, plus what should be allocated for shock losses above $100,000. Operating costs for the program such as excess reinsurance, policy issuance, claims service, brokerage, administration, etc. are calculated for each member. Finally, a member’s loss fund and operating costs are added together, producing their premium for each year. The intent of the Artisans Insurance Ltd. premium calculation formula is that each member pays a premium to fund for its ultimate losses while allowing for risk sharing and risk shifting amongst the entire membership for shock losses. Because each member is expected to pay their own losses, up to a reasonable level, a member can be billed additional premium up to a predetermined amount should their losses exceed expected levels.
Because each member of Artisans Insurance Ltd. is an owner, the following criteria has been established to ensure the quality of membership and long-term strength of the company:
- Management Commitment to Safety
- Financially Strong Company
- Loss Experience Better than Average for Industry Group
- Regular Attendance and Participation in Board Meetings
- Business Philosophy Compatible with Artisans Insurance Ltd.
- Recommend Other Quality Companies to Artisans Insurance Ltd.
- One Time Cash Capitalization of $25,000
- Minimum Annual Casualty Premium of $100,000